How to record video calls on Zoom and Google Meet
The world is evolving, and more than ever before, professionals and brands are collaborating using virtual channels. This means that more businesses and brands employ video calls to communicate and collaborate. According to recent reports, over 50% of global companies make use of video calls for their everyday operations; furthermore, over 80% of employees use video conferencing for meetings every day.
But it doesn’t just end with making video calls. We often need to take down notes or record sessions during video calls for reference purposes, but many people do not know how to record video calls. Some don’t even think it’s possible.
Recording video calls can be a useful way to capture important meetings, presentations, or personal moments with acquaintances. In this article, we will explore different methods on how to record video calls and do it ethically.
What is a video call recording?
Video call recording is the process of capturing and retaining the audio, video, and other data transmitted during a video call or video conferencing session. The recorded data can then be stored for future reference or used for various purposes, such as training, documentation, or dispute resolution.
It is important to state clearly that a video call should only be recorded after the participants must have granted express consent or are aware that the meeting or video call will be recorded. This is important to avoid defaulting on privacy laws and ethical duty.
Benefits of video calling recording
The demand of today’s business world and the increase in virtual communication makes it imperative that you learn how to record video calls. As long as you engage in a video collaboration with your clients, you definitely will find it useful. Not just for you recording video calls also offers numerous benefits for clients.
Here are a few benefits of recording video calls:
1. Improved Communication: Just like books, discussions are sometimes better understood after a second or even third repeat. Recording video calls provide a visual and auditory record of the conversation, which can be repeatedly accessed and viewed. This definitely helps to improve communication and reduce misunderstandings. Clients can watch and re-watch the call to ensure they have a complete understanding of what was discussed and agreed upon.
2. Enhanced Collaboration: Spoken words can easily be forgotten; even if the intentions are still there, the specific words used in the meeting may be forgotten or replaced. This may alter the reason or intended outcome. Learning how to record a video call and sharing a recording of a video call with team members or other stakeholders can help to enhance collaboration and ensure everyone is on the same page. It can also serve as a valuable resource for future reference and decision-making.
3. Increased Productivity: Writing during a meeting can be quite distracting, and most people will prefer an efficient alternative. Recording video calls free up clients from having to take notes during the call, allowing them to focus their attention on the discussion and participate fully. This can result in more productive and effective meetings and discussions. Besides, while trying to take notes, you may miss out on some important points, but with recording, you can capture every detail without missing a thing.
4. Improved Learning: For clients who are new to a particular topic or concept, watching a recorded video call can be a valuable learning tool. They can pause, rewind, and review the content at their own pace, helping to solidify their understanding and improve their overall knowledge.
5. Better Record Keeping: Recording video calls provide a permanent record of the conversation, which can be used for future reference, as evidence in case of disputes, or as a historical record of the business. This helps to ensure that important information is not lost or forgotten.
How to record a video call
If you want to learn how to record a video call, Workee experts have put together all the important steps you’ll need to record effectively.
Using built-in recording features
Many video conferencing platforms, such as Zoom, Skype, and Google Meet, have built-in recording features that allow you to easily capture the audio and video of your call. To use these features, simply start a video call and look for the "Record" or "Save" button in the call window. When you're finished with the call, the recording will be automatically saved to your device.
Let’s share practical steps on how to record video calls on two popular video conferencing tools.
How to record a video call on Zoom
Zoom allows users to record meetings using an in-built function. However, if you’re on the free plan, your recording stores in your local store on your computer, but users on the paid plan get the option to save their recordings on supported cloud storage facilities.
Here is how to record a video call with audio on Zoom
Set up your call interface and begin your meeting
On the call interface, you’ll find the More button at the bottom right corner, click on it.
Then an option stating “Record on this computer” will pop up. Click on it again.
Participants automatically get notified that the call is being recorded.
How to record a Google Meet video call
Recording on Google meet is not as flexible as on Zoom; this is because Google didn’t make this feature available to every user. You can only record meetings if yu have a Google Workspace account.
So if you have a workspace account, follow the steps below;
During the call, click on the Activities icon” located in the bottom right corner.
Select "Record meeting." The recording will automatically save to Google Drive when you end the call.
Using Screen Recording Software
Another option is to use screen recording software to capture the video call. With this method, you simply open the video call in your web browser and start the screen recording software. As the call takes place, the screen recording software will capture the audio and video of the call, as well as any on-screen annotations or other interactions.
Recording video calls can be a useful tool for capturing important moments or preserving information. The popular video conferencing tools discussed above have built-in recording features you can deploy to easily capture audio and video collaborations. Just remember always to obtain consent from participants and protect sensitive information.
Finally, you should also try the Workee video conferencing tool; it offers great flexibility and gives you access to other business management tools that help you manage your business affairs seamlessly. Workee is more than a video call tool. It is a suite of tools every professional needs; these include a smart booking and scheduling system, a CRM, payment system to help you receive payments and issue invoices.
So if you need a smart video conferencing tool with other functions to enable smooth business operations, then sign-up on Workee now! It’s free!
Excited to start with Workee? Schedule a demo with our Manager!Schedule
Keep updated about latest industry insights and subscribe to our newsletter